reflections of our life on the farm and beyond

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Where are the years going?

I woke up this morning with the thought that five years ago today I became a mum for the first time. That day held so much for me...emotions, promise, love, excitement, fear, doubts...I could go on. But it was the day that I changed forever. Because from that day onward, no matter what I do in my future, no matter where I am, I will always be a mum. And by our very nature, we put our kids ahead of ourselves (well...for a number of years at least!). And I'm cool with that. It was on that day I became less selfish, more understanding, and discovered that I possessed a love that I never knew existed.

There is a saying that is doing the rounds of the internet at the moment, and I totally agree with it. It goes something along the lines of 'I wanted you the minute I knew you were coming, I loved you the second I saw you, and it was in that second that I knew I would die for you'. And it is true! I rant and rave at my kids at least once a day - usually more - but there is nothing I wouldn't do for them.

And here we are; five years on, and Thomas is now no longer a baby, no longer a toddler, but a small boy who provides us with challenges, tense moments, fun times and laughter. He is our ground breaker. He will forge the way for his two younger siblings and make it easier for them no doubt. He will make me and his father examine how and why we do things and take stock of what is really important to us.

HAPPY 5th BIRTHDAY THOMAS!

We celebrated his birthday on Sunday by having a small party. This will be his last official party for a while - after all, from next year around the same time, we will be celebrating Isabella's birthdays and honestly, I can only cope with one child's festivities every few months! And can you guess the theme? I'll give you a hint............we are getting good use out of certain decorations!

Yes, it was dinosaurs again (always). I'm really not sure that this craze is EVER going to let up (a few weeks back at kinder, a speech pathologist was meeting with the kids and the lady asked Tom was he wanted to be when he grew up. Instantly he replied "a paleontologist" What else?!)

So here are some pics from Sunday and a couple from today (his actual birthday).

the cake

The kids all had a ball belting the hell out of this poor dino pinata. Some had a terrific arm on them! There were about 10 kids who had a go and I think they each got 3 turns of 5 swings each before the poor sucker caved and delivered the treats!

Some of the presents he got. The one on the right is a spaceman thingy that you pump up and then push a button and it shoots up in the air. REALLY high! You just knew that it would come to grief.......

.......and it was Mark's grief! Mark is circled in red and the spaceman is circled in green. Mark is not fond of heights, so he was less than thrilled at having to get the rotten thing out of the tree! After about 30 minutes, the thing fell out of its own accord (much to Mark's disgust!)


Lunch at La Porchettas complete with dino cupcakes.

No comments: