reflections of our life on the farm and beyond

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Sickies in the house

Oh good grief.

Things didn't turn out all that well for Tom on his birthday. In fact, Biddy started it all on party day (Sunday) when she was simply flat out with a high temp and feeling ordinary and missed the entire party. The fact that 10 other children and equivalent number of adults where all making raucous noise right outside her bedroom door and she DIDN'T STIR, reflects how sick she was. Monday morning she wakes up with no voice and trying to tell me that her throat was sore. A quick peak and I discover lots of pus! Yuk. A trip to the drs and on antibiotics pronto.

Then on Tuesday morning (birthday day), Tom wakes up ok and I bundle him off to holiday programme with Biddy. But at 12pm pickup, I'm informed that he had been a bit out of sorts and prone to bursting into tears and wanting to go home for some of the morning (VERY unlike him). No food touched at La Porchettas but still appearing to be ok. But during his trip to the movies with his dad to see Toy Story 3, he became very upset at one point of the film suggesting he was out of sorts. A check of the temp at home (38 deg) confirmed he was coming down with something.

Wednesday morning, he opens his gob and I see the same pus pattern that Biddy displayed 2 mornings earlier. So another trip to the drs to get him on antibiotics.

The strongest one of the kids so far is the 4 week old! But then she is getting all the good stuff from her mum!!

I have to admit to feeling a little torn about the kids being sick. One part of me simply wants to take their sickness away and make everything all better, and the other (wicked) part of me loves the fact that they are motionless, quiet, sleepy and compliant. In fact, they are angel children! But no, really, I hate it when they are sick. They are just so.......unlike THEM! They are not my kids unless they are tearing up the place, creating havoc and generally getting into trouble!

Fast forward though to today and the antis have done their work and both kids are back to normal. And I am back to yelling at them, pulling my hair out and keeping the Viva paper towel company in business by cleaning up all manner of spills and messes.

The three of them! (Bella @ 4wks)

No comments: