reflections of our life on the farm and beyond

Friday, May 11, 2012

Our new baby

Ok.  I have finally caught up with the blog and now it is time to introduce our new baby.

Most of you reading this blog possibly know of this news via personal contact, Facebook, my Graceful Impressions blog etc... but for those that don't, we are pleased and proud to announce the arrival of -
HENRY MICHAEL SIMPSON BILLING
born Tuesday, May 1st at about 8.50pm weighing 7lb 2oz.

at approx 30 minutes old
Henry's arrival was an experience for many as he just couldn't wait to be brought into the world.  Not only was he 6 days early, but he also decided to arrive only 2 hours and 15 minutes after my contractions started.  As both the girls' labours went for roughly 6 hours each - and the contractions of this labour felt no different to theirs - I figured I had hours to go.  After I decided that Mark should call the hospital and tell them we were on our way (which was 2 hours into it), we got in the car and headed into town.  However, time was not on my side and with absolutely no warning, I needed to start pushing whilst still in transit.

As we neared the hospital, I felt the baby starting to crown and I was doing all I could not to push.  Mark was blocking me out of his mind so he could concentrate on driving!  By the time we got to the hospital, the baby's head was half out and the midwives had no choice but to deliver him in the front seat of the Prado (quite lucky that it is a high car or they might have had to be on their knees to do the delivery!!)  One more contraction and small push and Henry came easily out and into this world!  Oh, and I should say that all of this also happened in the rain.

The fact that I was not probably prepared mentally for it all to happen THAT NIGHT left me reeling a bit.  In fact, I was in a bit of shock, I think, as I shook uncontrollably for about 20 minutes following the birth.  I truly thought that I would go to term and therefore have about 6 more days ahead of me, let alone have it happen so quickly.  The other downside for me was that we didn't get to document Henry's arrival like we had done with the other kids (either photos or video), purely because of the speed.  Mark barely had time to turn the car off, let alone get a camera out.  But we are trying to make up for those missed photos by taking lots of Henry now.

The upside though to having a birth like this, is that the press are very interested in the story.  So we have a couple of news articles about the event.  Plus, the midwives tell me that babies that are born as quick as mine rarely suffer any issues.  Plus, they have beautiful rounded heads!  The other plus, is that I didn't have to labour for hours through painful contractions and as a result, felt amazingly good post birth.

The kids - and Mark - were ecstatic that Henry turned out to be a boy.  I think I was the only one that thought it might be a girl (or was I just preparing myself for another girl??).  Tom is over the moon at having a brother.  The hormone balance is now evenly divided in our house.

with mummy about 5 minutes after birth
with daddy
Bella and Biddy's first glimpse of their new brother
Tom's first visit with Henry
the Billing boys
with mummy and daddy
Mark always gives the babies their first bath.  This has really stemmed from the fact that when Tom was born, I had to have a c-section and as such, it was a bit tricky for me to handle him.  The midwife suggested that Mark bath him and ever since then, we have always had Mark do this first bath.  But he always panics when it comes time to do it...those babies are just so teeny tiny in his enormous farmer hands and he's quite terrified of breaking them!  It is really one of the very few things I have seen Mark nervous about.
look at the concentration
at 3 days old
Henry's first car trip...on his way home
First sleep in his bed at home
Some people to thank:
Doctor Peter Nice for his care of me throughout pregnancy and Dr Anne McGuane for her assistance following the birth (sorry Anne that you missed it!);
Midwives Pauline, Abbey, Lillian and Mandy for their EXCELLENT people and midwifery skills when faced with a rather unusual and speedy delivery.  The fact that they were so confident and competent with the whole situation gave me the ability to just get on and do what I had to do without thinking of "what if"
All the other midwives that took care of me throughout my hospital stay, especially Dot and Rae.  I suffer with horrendous migraines following the birth of all my babies (migraines are not alien to me anyway), and having midwives around that understand and go above and beyond to do things to help get through that period makes all the difference.
To our parents - Alan & Judy and Lynne - thankyou for "manning" the fort whilst all this occurred.  To have family support at a time like this, especially when there are other kids to be cared for, words just cannot express our gratitude.  From looking after farm duties, to getting Tom on the bus for school, to cleaning, cooking, changing nappies, refereeing kids arguments, keeping things oiled and greased and working properly.....we thankyou from the bottom of our hearts.

No comments: