reflections of our life on the farm and beyond

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

The small things

I am feeling a bit happy today and it is all to do with a lump of wood. Yes, you read that right. Wood. Well, I think it's wood. Wood veneer at least. It is my new desk that actually is not really new.

Medium length version of the story is; when Mark renovated this house many years ago, a very small office was created off the front entranceway. Over the years, and with me now on the scene, it has become the office for EVERYTHING....studies, CFA, farm bookwork, entertainment and most recently, my Graceful Impressions office. We moved the farm stuff to another new office 2 years ago now, but the small alcove I have now taken ownership of, never got an overhaul. Old filing cabinets full of stuff we never use, an old student desk with drawers of stuff that haven't seen the light of day in YEARS, more technological equipment than a Dick Smith store trying to vie for room on the desk with my craft stuff......it just wasn't working.

About 12 months ago, I bit the bullet and bought a new desk with a return. 12 MONTHS AGO. I finally got fed up waiting for Mark to put it into the office, so mum and I cleaned it all out 2 weeks ago, stacking everything in the entranceway. As expected, Mark got sick of maneuvering around said stacks and decided he would put my desk together today. I don't think he realised just how long it would take him, but it is done now.

It is a very tight fit, but everything does fit nicely. In fact, there is little space for flies, dirt and small offcuts of paper to accumulate under furniture which will be refreshing! So now I just have to bring everything from the entranceway back to the office and find a nice spot for it.

As the title of the blog says, small things.........!!

No comments: