reflections of our life on the farm and beyond

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Dentophobes....look away now!

There has been plenty that has been going on in our lives over the past couple of weeks, and I have been remiss not to get on here and update. BUT.......I have been suffering from toothache for a couple of weeks now and it is just about to hit the jackpot!!!!!

Before Christmas, I went for my usual 6 monthly checkup and I had a crack in one of my molars. A return visit to my dentist - the lovely Peter - saw him drill what seemed the majority of my tooth away and replace with what can only now be described as a pretend tooth. This took an hour and at one point, I was sure that I would have to get the nurse to actually hold my mouth open as I was starting to loose control of my facial muscles. At the end of it all, Peter tells me that the crack in the molar went up a fair way and he couldn't guarrantee that it wouldn't play up again.

And it did.

In the days before Christmas, I decided that enough time had lapsed that the tooth should have settled down following all the poking and prodding, and that in fact the twinges I was feeling were in fact the crack that had continued. Sigh. So onto the phone to arrange another appointment to look at getting a root canal. It seems that getting an appointment between Christmas and New Year is the simplest thing to do as people are obviously away/entertaining/festive/getting trashed/scared (take your pick). So I get in no probs. Except in that time, I pick up some lurgy from Bridie and end up with bronchiatis. And can't stop coughing.

Well, that's just not going to work - coughing and having to keep your mouth open for an hour. So I reschedule. But now it takes me 2 weeks to get in. But I still have the cough. So another reschedule. But this takes me to the end of February, and that is not going to work because Mark and I are going to be in New Zealand on a dairy trip then. So the next available appointment is early March. People have obviously returned from holidays/gotten rid of visitors/moved out of festive mindset/sobered up/are still scared but are facing their fears (pick one!).

I go on the cancelation list and luckily get an appointment for the 27th January (tomorrow). Yippee. However, in the week just past, my tooth has gone from slight twinges, to full on debilitating pain that makes my eyes pop and takes my breath away, to now, not being able to eat at all. And I have a dull throbbing in my tooth. I am worried that I have an infection up there somewhere and that Peter is not going to be able to do anything until that is fixed.

I am not the bravest person when it comes to dentistry. I can handle the 6 monthly checkups, I can handle the occasional filling. I have even had 2 wisdon teeth removed in the chair with just a local. But the thought of having ongoing work and repeat visits...not something I am looking forward to.

Not to mention the upcoming bill!!!!

We'll see what tomorrow at 2pm brings.

1 comment:

Helen Jolly said...

I hope you are ok lovie!!!!!
That sounds nasty stuff
Hows it all going now????