reflections of our life on the farm and beyond

Sunday, December 21, 2008

A change is as good as a holiday...they say!

Just for the Christmas period, I've changed the background of the blog. And don't it look festive??!!

I have been a bit creative today and for the first time in.....I can't think how long.....I managed to do a bit of scrapping. Came together quite quickly, which is good, because I don't have a hellova lot of time at the moment!



The Carols by Candlelight and Santa's workshop that I have been heavily involved in organising, occured on Friday afternoon and evening, and I am pleased to say that with the exception of loosing power at about 3pm (prior to the start, but getting it fixed before everything kicked off), that pretty much things ran smoothly. We were even packed up and home by 11.30pm. After some forecasts of some dodgy weather, we actually ended up with a glorous afternoon which encouraged many families to stick around after seeing Santa, watch the other entertainers we had arranged to perform and also stay for the carols. Because there wasn't much of a break between anything, there wasn't really a chance for people to get bored and leave. My estimate would be that we had inexcess of 2,000 people there - maybe more. There certainly would have been around 1,500 that attended the carols.

On the home front, Bridie cut her 4th tooth the other day and yesterday started crawling properly. Not a lot, but some fairdinkum crawls up on all fours! Just in time for her 1st birthday. Mark and I took both the kids to Geelong for their Santa photos the other day. I thought that Tom was really going to beat his fear of Santa, as he stood patiently in line and watched all the other kids. He even rehearsed to us what he was going to ask Santa for ("a big snapping dinosaur and a doll for Bridgy"), but when it came our turn, he freaked. Again. And so did the little girl.

The photos therefore had to have both Mark and I in them again (I think I now have more photos with Santa as an adult than I ever did as a kid myself!!) and we had to have a number of goes to get at least one where we were all looking at the camera, no kids crying and looking half decent. It wasn't easy! Santa was a real trouper and perhaps due to the fact that we were early and he hadn't been worn out for the day, he was the best Santa I have come across. Seemed to really enjoy meeting the kids and had lots of time for them.

Christmas preparations are about to go into overdrive for me. I have been so focussed on the carols and Santa's workshop, that I haven't really paid too much attention to preparations for the upcoming day. I have been reasonably organised with buying gifts, but I do have some last minute ones to get and I have to 'run the supermarket gauntlet' tomorrow for the grocery items.

No comments: